Saturday 9 May 2009

Working on my research proposal

After discussing the topic of the research with my research supervisor I have identified some weak points in its initial formulation and in some of the areas. I understand that discovering this at this stage is little bit late and I am ebarassed to admit that that this could have been done earlier. Firstly, I have found out that the countries do not gather data on the number of visitors from the countries of my interest and no such data available for previous years. This makes my research not only difficult but impossible. Secondly, another area of my future research has already been studied and some publications are already available. Based on all this information I had to make some amendments to the initial formulation of my topic. Now I am going to study how the Baltic States are coping with the current economic crisis, what measures, if any, have been planned to deal with crises and how these measures are working. In my opinion it is very interesting topic, especially considering that this event (economic crisis) happening now and the scale of it covers almost entire world. At the moment I am working on my research proposal and reviewing literature. I have no final decision on methods of my research. Being an international student makes writing such a major piece of work as a dissertation quite difficult and I established for myself that it is very helpful for students, especially from abroad, make themselves confident in this field by reading a literature on how to research and how to write dissertation. The books I have read recently was very helpful for it. Here are some examples: How to research, Blaxter et al, 2002), Writing the successful thesis and dissertation, Clark, 2007) and I would definitely recommend them to read before starting with your dissertation. Good luck everyone!

No comments: